This is a short list of our most frequently asked questions. For questions not listed in this FAQ, or if you need support, please submit a contact us form.
ConfigSafe Snapshot is a SQLite based system state image. It consists of at minimum a System State Configuration (or just Configuration) snapshot and it could optionally contain Registry Hives and/or File/Folder Attributes (this optional configuration is not available in ConfigSafe 2015 Desktop Edition).
ConfigSafe’s snapshot includes the following Windows configuration object types:
1. Base Object Types: Files/Folders and Registry Hive
2. Amalgamated Object Types: System State Configuration (or just Configuration) and Autorun Settings (through included AutorunCheck software)
Windows Vista / 7 / 8/ 10 create consistent point-in-time copies of data known as Shadow Copy images. The Shadow Copy image allows you to restore system files and settings. ConfigSafe utilizes Shadow Copy images for system state exploration. For more formation on Windows Volume Shadow Copy service or System Restore please visit the Microsoft website.
1. Location: Shadow Copy images taken by Windows have to be located in the reserved system protection drive space, whereas Snapshots can be located anywhere; local disk, USB, or cloud storage.
2. Complete image: Shadow Copy images are not true snapshots but incremental backups of changes made while ConfigSafe Snapshots are an independent and complete copy.
3. Transportability: Shadow Copy images are stored on the same volume as the original data and cannot be moved because it is an incremental backup and therefore requires other Shadow Copy images to construct a complete image whereas ConfigSafe Snapshots can be moved anywhere for further support and forensic investigation.
4. Configuration Objects: Shadowcopy images contain all aspects of File information including File attributes, metadata, and file contents. File/Folder information stored in Snapshots includes File attributes only, not File contents or metadata.
ConfigSafe Export function available through Microsoft Windows “Previous Version” service is only supported on Windows Vista and 7. For Windows 8.1 and 10, please refer to this third-party blog for File History function. Export function may still be functioning on Windows 8.1 and 10, but is not guaranteed particularly for user files larger than 1K bytes. File attributes are still accurate, but not file contents.
All the comparison results in ConfigSafe Compare on File/Folder contents are based on File attributes (such as File size, create time, last access time) and not file contents or File metadata.
1. Users should use Windows System Restore service restore points to return system files and settings to an earlier point in time.
2. Users could also use a third-party backup solution to restore their system to an earlier point in time.
3. After the restore is completed, users can use ConfigSafe Explore or Compare features and export desired Folders and Files and/or Registry values to recover specific changes.
1. All versions of ConfigSafe will automatically take a “Quick Snapshot” (Quick Snapshot contains only system state configuration information) during system boot/user login.
2. Quick compare (compare live image from the latest quick snapshot) can disclose critical system state changes.
When you start ConfigSafe trial software, you will be presented with a ConfigSafe Edition Licensing Screen which allows you to purchase a license, activate your license, or if your trial period has not expired, continue to trial option. Please click the “Activate my License” and enter the licensing ID and password of your SoftwareKey eCommerce account password and click activate. Once activated you will not be presented with the licensing screen anymore.
To update your copy of ConfigSafe, please uninstall the current ConfigSafe software and download the latest trial software from imaginelan.com website and install the new trial software. Once installation has completed, ConfigSafe will automatically re-activate your license.
Each ConfigSafe license allows you to activate on one computer only. Activation on another computer requires purchasing another license.
Since ConfigSafe 2015 is a new product there is no upgrade policy for an existing license.
You can upgrade your ConfigSafe 2015 Desktop Edition to Professional Edition at any time within one year and pay the difference between these two products. Please contact us for the upgrade.
Please use the Contact US Form to submit support requests.
ConfigSafe 2015 allows you to fully analyze changes being made to your system, whether intentional or not. In addition, AutorunCheck is included that enables you to identify any persistent threats that have been installed on your system. For more information about our cyber security products, please use the Contact Us Form.